Maya Angelou was born Marguerite Ann Johnson on April 4, 1928. A beloved American autobiographer and poet, she is best known for her series of six autobiographical volumes, which focus on her childhood and early adulthood experiences. The first, best-known, and most highly acclaimed, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (1969), focuses on the first seventeen years of her life. Now considered a classic, it brought her international recognition, and a nomination for a National Book Award. I have to admit that while I tried to read it, I found it too difficult. However, it is an inspiring book (I skimmed it); personally, I prefer to read her poetry and other works. I also enjoy watching and reading her interviews and/or speeches.
She was a member of the Harlem Writers Guild in the late 1950s. She was active in the Civil Rights movement, and served as Northern Coordinator of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Southern Christian Leadership Conference. Her work has led to her being awarded over 30 honorary degrees. She was also nominated for a Pulitzer Prize for her 1971 volume of poetry, Just Give Me a Cool Drink of Water 'Fore I Diiie. Since 1991, Angelou has taught at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, as recipient of the first lifetime Reynolds Professorship of American Studies. In 1993, she recited her poem "On the Pulse of Morning" at President Bill Clinton's inauguration, the first poet to make an inaugural recitation since Robert Frost at John F. Kennedy's inauguration in 1961. In 1995, she was recognized for having the longest-running record (two years) on The New York Times Paperback Nonfiction Bestseller List. Beginning in the 1990's, she has had a busy career as a lecturer, making about 80 appearances a year.
My favorite poem of Angelou's is "Still I Rise". Today I share my favorite quote of hers:
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived,
but if faced with courage, need not be lived again."
but if faced with courage, need not be lived again."
While I cannot speak exactly of it's original context, for me, it contains the goal of healing: we need not continue to repeat the past.
~~Debra Contreras
~~Debra Contreras
No comments:
Post a Comment