4/6/10

Art Therapy

"Jews and blacks express our sufferings differently:  blacks developed the blues, while Jews complain. We just never thought of putting it to music." Jon Stewart

Within the humor of the above statement is a truth of the power of healing using an artistic method.  Throughout this blog, I am sharing articles to help you in your journey of healing, several using writing as a mode.  For survivors of abuse, it is incredibly healing to get it out, and give it expression.  I also posted some examples of therapuetic literature.  If you are familiar with Christian music, some of its most beautiful songs came out of something tragic.  Some chose music, others writing; the creating is more important than the  method. 

There are several reasons why art therapy has so much healing power.  We tend to internalize trauma and by giving expression to it, we get it out  of our system.  In creating the content, we also take power over it, rather than letting it fester inside and control us.  By sharing it, we create awareness and potentially help others in some way, however small.  Art therapy is also at the root of the Vagina Monologues: a grass root movement that has grown world wide to stop violence.

I want share some people's healing creations.  I will let them speak to you for themselves. I only hope they will inspire you to find your own healing, your own voice.
~~Debra Contreras

No comments:

Post a Comment