Dave Pelzer is a survivor of child abuse who is now an author of several books and a successful public speaker. His story spans three books, starting with "A Child Called It: One Child's Courage to Survive". I was first introduced to his book through a friend's response to reading the book. Before reading the book, she was only vaguely aware of child abuse in a general way. However, after reading it, she became a child abuse prevention activist by sharing the book, joining and participating in child abuse preventention organizations. I know that her action led to others taking action; who knows how far and how much her actions have influenced others to positive action? By such actions, one individual can become a force that changes the world.
If you are unfamiliar with Dave Pelzer and his work, I am going to provide links that will let you learn more. This is mostly because his personal work is, well, his personal work. I think you should be aware, before starting, that there is some controversy about his work; however, it is mostly disclaimers from his family. (This is something I plan on addressing in a general way next week.) Irregardless, his story is one that illuminates the henious nature of child abuse, as well as how to not let it control you.
To visit his website: http://www.davepelzer.com/
To view/buy his books: Dave Pelzer Books
~~Debra Contreras
This book would be fanstastic for teens who want a short quick read. it involoves a yound boy and his strugle to servive in real life tormenting situations. This book inspired me to keep on going even when i am having bad days, because people even children, go threw worse everyday. I appreciate my mother more now after reading this book. The things this little boy goes threw will hange your life forever and most likely give you a new outlook on life all together.
ReplyDelete