11/11/10

Thankful for Thanksgiving: One Man’s Reflection



There is something magical about the Holiday Season. I have always held a soft spot in my heart for Thanksgiving. This may have a lot to do with the fact that I love the autumn season when the leaves make their yearly transition and burst into a rainbow of colors that it is hard to fully duplicate. I am reminded still, as every autumn comes and goes, of my early years growing up in the Ohio countryside. The November air seemed to always induce a chill that was crisp and yet refreshing. The sight of leaves swirling to the earth on their final journey offered a sense of peace and beauty not often witnessed.


I came from a big family, 8 children in all, and this made for a very congested lifestyle. Although it was crowded in our home the tight knit bond our Mother had so lovingly woven sustained us and made us stronger. We were not rich by any means unless this condition was evaluated on the basis of love. I did not realize it then but those faraway autumn days were some of the best of my life. As a family we cherished the holidays. Thanksgiving was always a special time for us. The passing of time has allowed me to fully appreciate the struggle my parents went through to provide for so many on so very little. Regardless of our situation the Thanksgiving feast was always there for us to enjoy.

Our Mother worked hard around the Thanksgiving holiday in an effort to prepare a feast that would sustain us until the next holiday. She instilled in all of us the importance of being thankful for the bounty we had, regardless of the size of our Turkey. The smells that engulfed our home on Thanksgiving morning stick with me to this very day. Our Mother had a way of making the whole process seem easy and comfortable. The food was plentiful and atmosphere magical and memorable. My Father worked hard to provide us with our feast and took the opportunity to reap his reward at the Thanksgiving meal period. He carved the Turkey like a crafted butcher bent on precision and then he ate until he could eat no more. He would then spend the remainder of the afternoon setting in his favorite lounge chair with his pants unbuttoned for relief and a huge smile upon his face.

My Mother and Father have long gone but the Thanksgiving memories they created for us will last a lifetime. I miss them everyday of my life but the emotion is only enhanced when the holidays roll around. As the circle of life continues I find myself now in my Fathers shoes and I have attempted to provide Thanksgivings for my own children that will instill positive moments of reflection. Times have changed and I find myself assisting my wife in the kitchen on Thanksgiving morning but when all is said and done I still find myself in my favorite lounge chair with my pants unbuttoned for relief and a smile upon my face. Some holiday traditions never change.

By Will D. Curl  Copyrights © 2009 PoemVidz.com   Article Source: Ezine Articles

At PoemVidz.com we believe in holiday traditions and fully understand the feeling and emotions that evolve around Thanksgiving Day. We invite you to share your memories and Thanksgiving Reflections with us at PoemVidz where Poetry is food for the soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment