1/11/10

Beloved Baby


I wrote "Beloved Baby" in honor of the Vagina Monologues, performed at college campuses worldwide every Valentine's Day in protest violence against women and children.   Written in the voice of an elementary student, the student speaks within one of the "rules" of dysfunctional families:  keep everything a secret.  Staying silent allows the abuse to continue; so this poem was written to give a voice to silently suffering victims, of all ages.  --Debra Contreras




I watched today from the window as you walked by;
I would have liked to invite you in to say "hi", but
I couldn't let you see my big black eye.



At recess, you asked me to play, but
I don't want you to know my legs
Are sore. So I told you go away.

 

In class, we played a game.
I didn't participate. My teacher
Thinks it is because my brain is lame, but

 

My teacher doesn't know I carry
A bruised colored body,
A heart full of pain.

 

You sat next to me at lunch today,
And I didn't have much to say.
You thought I was unsocial, perhaps a snob, but
My family has appearances to keep:

 

Trouble-causing secrets,
A closet full of skeletons, mostly me.
I hope you know I like you, but
I have to be this way: I hope you see.

 

For those of you unaware,
the Vagina Monologues are coming up, Valentine's Day.
Check it out, and be supportive. I wrote this poem with the VM in mind.
©: Debra Contreras
24 de enero de 2008 07:00 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment