Procrastination of the unimportant items in our day is a useful talent. The problem for many, however, is that we procrastinate on the important and crucial items in our day, reducing our personal productivity and increasing our stress levels.
Here are five pointers to help you to better overcome procrastination. (You can implement them now or perhaps tomorrow…or better yet, next week.)
1. Daily Planning the Night Before. “People don’t plan to fail but they sometimes fail to plan.” Without a plan of action in place before you arrive for work it is real easy to get caught up in “stuff.” The phone rings, someone drops by and you direct your time responding to the loudest voices demanding your attention rather than to the most important priorities on your plate. A plan of action, prepared the night before is like a roadmap for the next day. You know what your next step ought to be to get you into productive action and away from procrastination.2. Work With A Clean Desk. “Out of sight, out of mind.” The reverse of that is just as true. When it’s in sight, it’s in mind and most of us cannot help but be distracted and our time is then directed to the less important and easier tasks causing us to put off the more important tasks. Working with a clean desk or clean work environment permits us to have only the most important task before us so that we can focus all of our attention on that task without other visual distractions.
4. Plan around Interruptions. Interruptions tend to occur in identifiable patterns. I get most of my interruptions early in the day versus later in the day. I get most of my interruptions early in the week versus later in the week. So, if I plan a big project first thing Monday morning, I’m creating stress because as soon as I begin, interruptions arrive and re-focus my attention causing me to procrastinate what I really wanted to do. It is so much easier swimming downstream with the current rather than bucking the tide. Therefore, I plan those larger projects for later in the day and later in the week when I tend to get fewer interruptions.
5. Assign Deadlines. Have you ever failed to achieve a New Year’s resolution? If so, that probably happened because you did not set a deadline. Deadlines move us to action. Without a deadline, things wind up in our “as soon as possible” pile, a “Never Never Land” where items will get attended to “someday,” “when I get the time.” Create a deadline and you will be moved to action.
Would you like to receive free Timely Time Management Tips on a regular basis to increase your personal productivity and get more out of every day? Subscribe now for our free "TIME MANAGEMENT DISCUSSION LIST" . We welcome you aboard!
Dr. Donald E. Wetmore-Professional Speaker Productivity Institute-Time Management Seminars
127 Jefferson Street
Stratford, CT 06615
(800) 969-3773
(203) 386-8062
fax: (203) 386-8064
Email: ctsem@msn.com
website: http://www.balancetime.com/
Professional Member-National Speakers Association
Copyright 1999 You may re-print the above information in its entirety in your publication, newsletter, or on your webpage. For permission, please email your request for "reprint" to: ctsem@msn.com
No comments:
Post a Comment